Corruption: Nigeria President asks anti-graft body to prosecute sacked Secretary of government
|Mr Babachir Lawan, fmr SGF, Nigeria|
After six months of being in suspension before he was finally sacked on Monday over alleged graft and abuse of office, the former secretary to government of the Nigerian federation, Babachir David Lawan, is to be prosecuted by the country's anti-graft agency, EFCC, President Muhammadu Buhari said.
Mr. Lawan's sack was long overdue many Nigerians who applauded it said.
Lawan became the Secretary to the government of the federation (SGF) about two years ago when President Muhammadu Buhari assumed office after a keen contest between him and the then incumbent, President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan.
It was believed that the general public's perception on Buhari's zero tolerance ego corruption earned him that rare victory over a sitting candidate of the then ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) a political party that is considered the most powerful and largest in Africa.
When Buhari took his oath of office at the eagle square Abuja, he left a soothing and famous quote on the lips and minds of many Nigerians when he said as a President "I belong to everybody and I belong to nobody".
But about a year into his checkered administration, reports began to filer out that those around Mr Buhari's seat of power are having their hands soiled with sharp practices.
The former SGF was accused of alleged diversion of funds meant for the persons internally displaced by the Boko Haram insurgency in northeast Nigeria.
On the 19th April, 2017, President Buhari, who was then battling with his health asked for the suspension of Mr Lawan, a man who was considered as his friend, to allow an investigation panel led by the Vice President, Professor Yemi Osinbajo investigate the allegations levelled against the nation's top scribe.
The investigation panel found Mr Lawal guilty of the catalogue of allegations which also included built against him.
The VeePee's investigative panel, membered by Attorney-General Abubakar Malami and National Security Adviser, Babagana Monguno, recommended termination of Mr. Lawal's appointment.
Also found guilty by the investigative panel was Mr. Oke of National Intelligence Agency.
|Mr Oke, ExNIA boss|
Mr. Oke was head of the NIA when the EFCC found N13 billion belonging to the foreign intelligence office in an apartment in Ikoyi, Lagos, on April 12.
VeePee Osinbajo's panel was obviously not satisfied with the explanation given by the former NIA boss on why public funds of such huge magnitude should be found in a private apartment to the extent that ordinary Nigerian could know about it and even blew whistle on it.
The panel thereby recommended Mr. Oke's dismissal.
The investigative panel submitted its report to President Buhari on August 23 2017. The President failure to act upon it immediately earned him the angst of critical Nigerians who almost dubbed him as a compromised anti corruption fighter. But his action on Monday was seen to have rekindled the public trust on the President.
Chief spokesman of the President, Femi Adesina, informed in the #ChannelsTelevision popular programme #PoliticsToday that the delay by the president was not deliberate but meant to ensure due diligence.
Before their appointments were ultimately terminated, Messrs. Lawal and Oke had been placed on suspension since April 19. They appeared before the panel on several occasions during its 14-day, closed-door sitting